VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT: Director for Monitoring and Evaluation
SAA Regional Office, based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia is seeking for a competent Director for Monitoring and Evaluation with a strong background in Impact Economics.
The Director, M & E, is a strategic management position within SAA with the core purpose of providing leadership to the M & E function of all SAA programs in order to promote high level impact assessment of SAA programmatic interventions.
★Duties and Responsibilities
The Director for Monitoring and Evaluation will have the following key responsibilities:
• Design and lead cross-country impact studies for tracking the adoption, outcomes, and impacts of production technologies and related innovations.
• Assemble data on crop productivity, quality, processing and related parameters for a range of technology options promoted by SAA and which are needed for measuring and attributing impacts on crop yields and incomes.
• Assess the extent, determinants, and pathways of adoption of improved technologies.
• Develop and apply innovative methods for quantifying the impacts of improved technologies on food security and poverty reduction.
• Undertake strategic/ex-ante economic analyses of technology options for better targeting and priority setting of project interventions in the target countries and beyond.
• Develop and operationalize a mechanism for regular sharing of research results and other critical feedback information with SAA, stakeholders and partners involved in technology development and dissemination.
• Translate validation research findings into recommendations for policy action for greater technology adoption and impacts.
• Contribute to capacity development and strengthening of personnel from national extension system partners and progressive farmers
• Support University level Human Resource Development (HRD) in curriculum development by bringing in SAA models and technical information
• Participate actively in annual review and planning meetings and resource mobilization.
• Planning and Programming with comprehensive analysis of country operations
• Monitoring and advising on the progress of country operations with technical backstopping
• Promote and ensure effective Monitoring and Evaluation of program activities, and utilize relevant monitoring information to make appropriate and timely adjustments in program activities, including publishing findings in international peer reviewed journals
• Organize and run internal program evaluations at regional and country levels annually.
• Frequent travel to the operational countries.
★Qualifications and Experience
• The candidate should have a PhD (preferred) in Agricultural economics, Economics, or development economics from a highly recognized University. A relevant Masters Degree qualification supported by solid work experience will also be considered
• A strong management record together with superior interpersonal skills, and demonstrated performance in creating, motivating and leading diverse teams of highly qualified professionals.
• A minimum of 10 years management-related experience in agricultural development in Africa
• Demonstrated experience with impact evaluation of agricultural technologies, market or sub-sector studies, or value chain analysis.
• Experience in guiding surveys to collect and analyse primary data and experience with participatory research approaches
• Knowledge of innovation systems, innovation platforms, and social network mapping.
• Proven record of statistical and econometrics analysis of survey data and software (e.g. Stata)
• Knowledgeable in performance analysis indicators, logical framework approach, theory-based evaluation, formal survey techniques, rapid appraisal methods
• Knowledge of data collection tools and analytical methods for adoption and impact assessment as well as for value chain analysis.
• Demonstrated experience with large-scale technology adoption and impact surveys.
• A high degree of personal organization and ability to multi-task and work under pressure.
• Demonstrated ability to write and publish articles in peer review journals.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English (knowledge of French is an advantage); and
• Ability to work independently in a multidisciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
★Terms of Appointment
The contract will be one-year renewable based on performance and funding availability. SAA provides an internationally competitive salary package and is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages women applicants.
SAA prides itself in having a great work environment that is friendly. The team is passionate about agricultural transformation in Africa and SAA has been globally recognised for spearheading this transformation mainly in Ethiopia, Nigeria, Uganda and Mali. The team is also highly committed to building the capacity of agricultural extension agents across Africa, with SAA having partnered with over 29 universities in Africa. If you are passionate about agricultural transformation you will find a great home in SAA.
★How to Apply
If you wish to be considered for this position, please forward a copy of your CV in English version and Microsoft Word format, along with any relevant documentation to SAA-DirectorME@sri-executive.com on or before 14 February 2020. All information will be in the strictest confidence as we pride ourselves on our professional service. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.
SRI Executive is exclusively retained by SAA to undertake this assignment.
You can also download this information in a PDF document from below link.