[RECRUITING ANNOUNCEMENT] Country Director, NIGERIA
Sasakawa Africa Association (SAA) is a non-governmental organization that promotes the demonstration and widespread adoption of improved pre- and post-production agricultural technologies for smallholder farmers. SAA assists host Country agricultural development programs through its country program. The project is implemented through five interrelated components: Regenerative Agriculture, promotion of improved Postharvest and Agro-processing Technologies, promote Market-Oriented Agriculture in support of pluralistic extension delivery and market access, to develop agricultural extension advisory services, and to establish a relevant, efficient, and effective Monitoring, Evaluation, Recording, and Communication system.
SAA Nigeria is seeking to recruit a qualified candidate of Nigerian nationals for the post of Country Director, Nigeria.
The Country Director reports technically and administratively to the President of the Sasakawa Africa Association. In some cases, he/she is requested to report to the Management at Tokyo Head Quarters and also the Director of Strategic Partnership (DSP) at Strategic Partnership Office (SPO).
Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead program development at the country level to ensure that country program goals, objectives and activities are properly aligned with the overall SAA plan of work, and that appropriate expertise is brought to bear in timely ways.
- Provide oversight and quality assurance of project implementation, ensuring the delivery of impact to the satisfaction of key stakeholders and following SAA and the donor’s financial standards and monitoring protocols.
- Work closely with Program Division in Tokyo HQ and SPO to strengthen the efforts of country technical staff to implement the organization’s program and activities successfully.
- Provide administrative and fiduciary oversight of country program personnel, assets, and finances relative to all aspects of SAA in-country operations.
- Lead the formation of innovative and mutually beneficial partnerships that will increase the impact of SAA interventions. This includes developing a partnership framework and playing a lead role in resource mobilization of new extra-core funds to complement core funding.
- Ensure that SAA organizational policies and regulations are in place and they are in full compliance with national laws.
- Provide country leadership for SAA communications and public awareness strategies and programs by utilizing relevant monitoring information.
[Enhance the Organization]
- Conduct the performance evaluation on an annual basis and motivate country staff to reach higher standards of performance, both in quantitative and qualitative terms by creating a healthy working environment.
- Foster innovation of SAA products and services: facilitate learning, documentation, and evidence-based knowledge development in collaboration with SAAs global team and partners.
- Collaborate with other SAA operating countries including semi focus countries to effectively exploit opportunities for synergy, deliver at scale (including multi-country projects), exchange knowledge, and strengthen SAAs position.
- Increase visibility of SAA by enhancing communication and PR activities.
[Planning & Management]
- Make a feasible plan for smooth operation and ensure financial sustainability of SAA and a high-quality project design.
- Ensure that technical, financial, and other required reports are produced in a timely manner and to high-quality standards.
- Show strategic leadership of the SAA program within the overall parameters of SAAs global and country strategy
- Provide input to HQ and SPO for strategic decisions, especially in the area of county programs and HR.
- Provide highlights of regular progress reports (quarterly) and detailed annual country reports reflecting planned targets and achievements in the country and global log frame to HQ.
- Represent SAA at all levels of government in the country of operation.
- Build partnerships and maintain excellent relationships with donors, partners, local governments, businesses, policymakers and other relevant stakeholders
Education Background and Experience
The position requires a person who brings in a fair and thoughtful approach to management, combined with the flexibility and courage to shift direction and experiment with new initiatives. Required qualifications and experience but not limited to include:
- Minimum of MA/MSc degree in Agri-Business, Agriculture Economics, Agriculture Extension, Agronomy, or in any other related field; with 10 plus years of relevant management and job experience.
- Microsoft Office: Advance knowledge of Powerpoint, Word, and Excel
- Prior executive-level experience as a successful leader, including a proven track record of growing organizational capacity and programmatic impact in the country.
- Demonstrated success in building relationships with public sector officials, private sector partners, funders, NGO partners operating in Nigeria, and other diverse stakeholders to foster broad community support
- Strong leadership skills in such areas as fostering teamwork; developing and motivating others; managing change; conflict resolution; initiative and flexibility.
- Strong visioning, strategic planning, implementation ability and effective under pressure, results-oriented and proactive with the ability to multi-task.
- Ability to demonstrate support for innovation and organizational changes needed to improve the organization’s effectiveness
- Coalition building capabilities, external networking, and experience in developing strategic partnerships; ability to understand macro development issues and develop strategized policy recommendations.
- Knowledge and experience in organizational management: Ability to coach, lead, stimulate, and inspire professionals in a development context
- Vast knowledge and practical experience in agriculture research and development, agriculture technical guidance, and agriculture extension and technology transfer
- Strong oral, analytical, writing, and presentational skills
- Strong communication, planning, negotiating, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to collect and analyze data and information, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to understand macro development issues and develop strategized policy recommendations.
- Ability to coach, lead, stimulate, and inspire professionals in a development context
- Knowledge and experience in organizational management
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (English Proficiency)
- Strong oral, analytical, writing, and presentational skills
SAA offers a competitive benefits package. However, salary is commensurate with experience.
Application and recruitment procedures
- Interested professionals are requested to submit an application, including the following non-returnable documents:
- Application letters stating intent of interest.
- Curriculum Vitae (not more than 5 pages) with three referees.
- Copies of credentials.
- All applications must be made electronically using the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates will be pre-screened and only shortlisted ones will be contacted for interview.
Application will be accepted until June 7th, 2022 at 2:00 pm NGT
SAA is an equal opportunity employer that fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equity, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are highly encouraged to apply.